Aesthetic appeal plays a key role in the design of a kitchen. As a result, most homeowners choose their kitchen on the basis of aesthetics. However, functionality should be given just as much attention. After all, a functional kitchen that offers more storage space makes prepping, cooking and even cleaning easier and more fun!
At Viking Woodworking, we are able to supply our clients with both! Take a look below at 5 ways to store more in your kitchen space, while keeping the natural beauty that every homeowner desires!
1. One of the hottest trends of 2013 is taking appliances that would normally be stored on the counter and giving them their own built-in drawer, like the microwave shown below in this Viking kitchen.
Not ready to purchase new appliances? Store your existing appliances, such as microwaves and toasters, in a pantry.
2. Keep your spice bottles organized and at your fingertips with a Viking custom spice drawer. Lay the spices with each label visible so you can find the spice you need with just a quick glance.
3. Use upright storage rather than stacking items such as baking sheets, cutting boards and platters. This not only frees up space, but it also eliminates having to lift heavy stacks to find the cooking item you need.
4. Divide your drawers with these Viking custom dividers. These inserts help organize flatware and other items within your drawer.
5. Try including a deep drawer in your kitchen like these Viking drawers shown below. This will allow you to easily store tall bottles such as oil, vinegar or even alcohol.
For more fun hints on how to store more in your kitchen, visit our Houzz page and browse our projects and ideabooks!
At Viking we like to keep up with the latest trends in Kitchen design. We work closely with our clients as well as Architect’s and Designer’s to come up with cutting edge kitchen layouts. Here are some of the trends in color, craft and design that we have seen so far in 2013.
#1. Grey is the new neutral. Move over white! Grey is the new neutral in town. We have recently completed kitchens in different shades of grey and “greige”.
#2. Space saving solutions: Smart space saving solutions are changing the ways cabinet doors and drawers function. These easy-close doors fold up and out of the way with the touch of a button or a soft close hinge.
#3. Kitchen sinks with accessories. Sinks have come a long way. Today’s sinks are available in a variety of shapes, sizes and materials, and can include a wide range of accessories, including cutting boards, utensil trays, drying racks and colanders.
#4. Customized Kitchen Drawers. Cabinets and Drawers now feature custom storage options.
#5. Island Shapes. Instead of a standard rectangular island, try a pentagon or oval. Altering the island shape creates interest and drama in the kitchen.
At the Viking Woodworking Headquarters, in Pittsburgh’s historic South Side, we take pride in our environment. Our skilled craftsman build everything by hand, using the finest products and state-of-the-art machinery.
Viking Woodworking is participating in the Pittsburgh Home Show for the first time ever this year. When designing our kitchen display, we hit a road block when it came time to decide on a color. Then there was… Chartreuse.
Chartreuse is surely one of the hottest colors of 2013, and undoubtedly the boldest!
Here are some of our favorite rooms and kitchens using Chartreuse.